Senior Cost Accountant
Reports to: Vice President & Controller
The Senior Cost Accountant is responsible for all areas relating to cost accounting and inventory management. In addition, this position will serve as a support and backup role for the Accounting Department and have Month-End close responsibilities. This position is expected to be viewed as a leader of the Department and work closely with the Vice President & Controller on various projects.
- Perform month end close activities related to Cost Accounting.
- Prepare actual vs. plan (budget) analysis. Prepare various financial analysis related to manufacturing costs, inventory, and expense information.
- Maintain periodic cost rolls/updates.
- Analyzes actual production costs and prepares periodic reports comparing standard costs to actual production costs.
- Records cost information for use in controlling expenditures.
- Develop and maintain standard costs of finished goods and production components in ERP system.
- Develop, maintain and analyze overhead rates.
- Assist in oversight of inventory cycle counts and annual physical inventory.
- Maintain and improve processes and controls associated with manufacturing costs and inventory valuation.
- Lead and manage the quarterly excess and obsolete inventory review process.
- Ensure validity and accuracy of ERP through analysis, internal audit, and coordination with inventory control, production and work order processing.
- Lead, develop and maintain the documentation of policies and procedures, including system requirements and internal controls.
- Perform inventory valuation and reconciliation of perpetual inventory to the GL, Including physical inventory adjustments.
- Provides management with reports specifying and comparing factors affecting prices and profitability of products or services.
- Support the Accounting Department through cross training and serve as back up when needed for, but not limited to:
- Invoicing & Progress billings
- Vendor remittance
- Payroll review and submission
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting required. CPA, CMA or an MPAcc is desirable, but not required.
- Minimum of 5 years experience, light manufacturing experience required.
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills are essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are needed to work with within the entire organization, at all levels. Must be able to work within a team to accomplish goals and work independently.
- Willingness to take the initiative to ensure timely completion of tasks that impact on-time completion of jobs.
- Experience with month-end closing deadlines, inventory reconciliation, some forecasting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient at Microsoft office, advanced skills in Microsoft Excel required.
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data.
- Made2Manage (ERP) experience preferred, but not required.