Field Service Technician Job Description
Strive to always demonstrate the characteristics of the “Sep Inc Way” by providing our customers excellent centrifuge repair service and support, by exceeding the customers’ expectations, show a willingness to commit to continuously improve, while minimizing the risk of injury and costs.
- Perform scheduled minor and major centrifuge maintenance and repair work at customer site.
- Always work in safest possible manner and adhere to company and customer safety rules.
- Arrive to service jobs on time, dressed appropriately, ready to work.
- Ability to troubleshoot most issues as required to identify root cause issues and mechanical process with the ability to determine best resolution for the customer.
- Obtain customer approval for major parts not included in original quote and confirm in report.
- Learn to identify process/operating issues, recommend solutions and confirm/document in service report.
- Provide feedback/recommendations on customer opportunities (parts, service and equipment).
- Recommend to customers, parts to buy/stock and confirm/document in service report.
- Account for, pack up and arrange for return of all unused parts.
- Follow up the day after service to ensure equipment is running properly on product. At a minimum, see the machine on water or CIP. If not, note why not in service report.
- Produce complete, accurate and timely service reports and obtain customer’s signatures while on site, where needed.
- Available to work after hours, weekends and holidays unless on previously approved time off.
- Prepare in advance for service jobs:
- Schedule work and any changes through the Customer Success Group.
- When needed, produce or approve accurate and timely BOM’s for jobs or as requested allowing sufficient time to minimize the need for expedited shipping of parts to customer location.
- Prior to the visit, review the appropriate equipment manual and previous service report in order to be prepared for the work to be done. o Proper PPE should be brought and worn at all times.
- Work with the customer directly to confirm schedule and any special requirements with a pre-call a few days before the service.
- Schedule all travel arrangements through travel agency and in keeping with company policy.
- Communicate within the Separators team and be available to take after hours (internal and customer) calls.
- Provide telephone technical support for customers of record. Get approval from management before providing technical support/information to non-customers.
- Attend and assist with machine start-up with Senior Engineer and/or Technical Service Group.
- Develop and maintain positive customer relationships to facilitate repeat business.
- Perform in field machine inspections for possible purchase as requested.
- Represent Separators Inc. in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of our automation/controls.
- Team well with other service technicians and departments to best serve our customers.
- When required/requested provide support to Separators, Inc. shop. • Review prior year calendar and actively solicit customers for repeat service work.
- Identify and inquire about idle centrifuge equipment in customer’s plants for possible purchase and communicate relevant information.
Key Performance Measures
- Work toward achieving 100% answered after hours emergency calls.
- Minimize warranty expense (meet annual goals) related to service work performed.
- Accuracy and timeliness of all required reporting within the agreed to time limits.
Requirements & Qualifications
- High school Diploma.
- Post high school trade/technical school a plus.
- Strong mechanical aptitude; basic welding and electrical knowledge.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Persistence and reliability to safely work until the job is completed.
- 3 plus years of centrifuge repair, maintenance and or operating experience is preferred.
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Courteous with customers.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to travel extensively (up to 75%).
- Physical ability to safely perform labor and travel.
- Being available to work after hours, weekend and holidays for emergency work.
- Works well within, and supports a team.