Set up and operate a variety of machine tools such as lathes and milling machines, to cut and produce precision parts for machines, instruments, and tools. This includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and vernier calipers.
- Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders.
- Measure, examine, and test completed units in order to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as micrometers.
- Set up, adjust, and operate all the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools in order to perform precision machining operations.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials onto machines.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information in order to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products and determine product dimensions and tolerances.
- Select the appropriate tools, machines, and materials to be used in preparation of machinery work.
- Lay out, measure, and mark metal stock in order to display placement of cuts.
- Observe and listen to operating machines or equipment in order to diagnose machine malfunctions and to determine need for adjustments or repairs.
- Check workpieces to ensure that they are properly lubricated and cooled.
- Maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
- Clean and lubricate machines, tools, and equipment in order to remove grease, rust, stains, and foreign matter.
- Program computers and electronic instruments such as numerically controlled machine tools.
- Set controls to regulate machining, or enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Confer with engineering, supervisory, and manufacturing personnel in order to exchange technical information.
- Dismantle machines or equipment, using hand tools and power tools, in order to examine parts for defects and replace defective parts where needed.
- Establish work procedures for fabricating new structural products, using a variety of metalworking machines.
- Support metalworking projects from planning and fabrication through assembly, inspection, and testing, using knowledge of machine functions, metal properties, and mathematics.
- Confer with numerical control programmers in order to check and ensure that new programs or machinery will function properly, and that output will meet specifications.
- Fit and assemble parts to make or repair machine tools.
- Evaluate procedures and recommend changes or modifications for improved efficiency and adaptability to setup and production.
- Design fixtures, tooling, and other parts to meet special engineering needs.
- Prepare working sketches for the illustration of product appearance.
Requirements & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent; Vocational school or apprenticeship preferred
- 1 - 3 years of previous experience as a Machinist
- Excellent manual dexterity, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in using and/or programming manual, semi-automated or automated tools and machines (lathes, grinders, etc.)
- Ability to use precision tools (e.g. calipers) to take accurate measurements
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics, and manuals
- Knowledge of metal properties and other material
- Outstanding mathematical skills and analytical abilities
- Other duties as assigned
- Physical stamina and strength to lift heavy items
- Basic skills in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.)